Many organisations will no longer allow you to log in with only your username and password. You always need your mobile phone. Therefore, download the DigiD app. The easiest way to log in securely.
Username and password
When you apply for a DigiD, you enter a username and password. Remember your username and password. You need these credentials to log in.
You must choose a username for your DigiD that is not already used by another person. If the username you choose is already in use, you need to enter a different username.
When choosing a username, please pay attention to the following:
- case sensitive
- no spaces
- minimum of 6, maximum of 32 characters
- special characters and numbers may be used
Choose a password that is hard to guess. Your password must meet at least the following requirements:
- no spaces
- 1 lower case letter
- 1 capital letter
- 1 number
- 1 special character (for example: ^ % - ! ? )
- minimum of 8, maximum of 32 characters
You cannot change your username. This is only possible if you apply for a new DigiD.
Do you have an activated DigiD and want to change your current password?
- Log in through My DigiD.
- Click 'Change Password'.
- Enter your old password and then enter your new one.
It did not succeed
This can have different causes:
- Incorrect username or password: Please note the difference between uppercase and lowercase characters.
- Blocked: Your DigiD might be blocked. Please wait until the specified time and try again.
- Your DigiD is not activated: Activate your DigiD with the activation code that you received by mail.
- Your DigiD expired: Your DigiD expired because of 3 years of inactivity. Please reapply for your DigiD.
Another possibility is that your DigiD does not work on the website of the organisation at which you are attempting to log in. Check whether you can log in at My DigiD. If you are able to log in, this means that your DigiD is working correctly. Please contact the organisation at which you are attempting to log in.f you are also unable to log into Mijn DigiD (My DigiD), please contact our help desk.
DigiD login screen does not appear
In the case that the DigiD login screen does not appear, you are probably using outdated software that does not comply with the latest security requirements. Therefore, please update your operating system and your browser to the most recent version. Or log in at another device that does have the correct operating system.
- Windows 7 / 8.1 or higher
- OSX 10.9.4 or higher
- iOS 7 or higher
- Android 6 or higher
If you have forgotten your username or if you want to change it, you need to apply for a new DigiD. This is because your username is private information. This means that the helpdesk cannot look it up for you.
DigiD account not activated
If you have forgotten your password before you activated your DigiD, you will have to re-apply for a new DigiD.
Activated DigiD account
You can recover your password via: