Man op stoel met smartphone. Koffers staan naast hem.


I live abroad

Do you live abroad? And do you have the Dutch nationality or the nationality of another country in the European Economic Area (EEA)? Then you can apply for a DigiD. Did you already have a DigiD before moving abroad? Then you can continue to use your DigiD.

To apply for a DigiD abroad, you must:

  • have a Dutch nationality or the nationality of another EEA countryExterne link (EU countries and also Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein)
  • have a valid passport or identity card of an EEA country (please note: no driver's license)
  • have a citizen service number (BSN)
  • you are registered in the Non-Residents Records Database (RNI)Externe link (you do not need an RNI extract for your DigiD application)
  • have a mobile phone on which you can receive SMS messages
  • have an email address

Going to a service desk (mandatory)

If you have filled in the application form, you will receive a service desk code by SMS and email. With this code you can pick up your letter with the DigiD activation code at one of the DigiD service desks within 30 days.

Please note: since it's very busy at some DigiD service desks, the waiting time for an appointment can sometimes take longer than the validity period of your service desk code (30 days). Therefore, please make an appointment at the DigiD servicedesk of your choice before submitting your application for a DigiD account. 

Bring the following to the service desk:

  • service desk code (which you received by SMS and by email)
  • passport or identity card of an EEA country (for which you entered the document number in your application)
  • citizen service number
Please note: not every country has a DigiD service desk.

Applying for a DigiD abroad

Living abroad with a Dutch state pension (AOW)

If you are receiving or will soon receive a Dutch state pension you do not have to go to a service desk. You can apply for your DigiD through the Social Insurance Bank (SVB: Sociale Verzekeringsbank)Externe link. You will receive the letter with your DigiD activation code at your address abroad.

More information

Information about DigiD is also available in French and Spanish on the websiteExterne link Netherlands Worldwide of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. You can also contactExterne link their helpdesk 24/7 for questions about DigiD.