Did you receive an error notification? Or were you unable to login and were you unable to proceed on digid.nl? Potential solutions listed below.
The message ‘Unfortunately, you have to log in again’ can occur during logging in with username and password (eventually with additional SMS verification) and the DigiD app (on one device or if you use two devices). The message has various causes.
No website activity for 15 minutes
There has been too much of a delay with entering information, or the page was open for too long (15 minutes). Log in immediately as soon as the login page is displayed. If the problem persists, you can always log in using another browser (for example, Firefox, Safari or Chrome) or on another computer.
Logged into more service providers with DigiD
You have several pages open, where you are logged into one or more service providers with DigiD. Several pages are open which you have logged into using DigiD. Close all pages that are open and log in again.
Your internet browser does not accept cookies. To be able to log in using your DigiD, you have to accept cookies for the domain DigiD.nl (and also for affiliated websites where you log in using your DigiD). No personal data and no DigiD login details are stored in the cookie. The cookies are only used to monitor the session. Make sure that your internet browser accepts cookies.
Your browser is retaining old cookies from DigiD that are required to log in. Your browser may be retaining old DigiD cookies that are required to log in. You could try the following:
- Restart your browser and try to log in again.
- Log in through a different browser.
- Delete the cookies from your browser and clear your browser history. You can find an explanation about deleting the cookies from your browser history on the internet.
Browser in private, incognito or confidential mode
The setting in your browser may possibly be in private, incognito or confidential mode. Go to the browser setting to turn this mode off and log in again.
Different time setting
The time setting of your computer and your telephone or tablet are not the same. Make sure that both your computer and your telephone or tablet are set to the same time.
You are using a shortcut on your home screen or desktop to go to the website where you want to log in. Do not use shortcuts, but first go to your browser and then to the website where you want to log in.
Search bar widget
You are using a ‘search bar widget’ to go to the website where you want to log in. Do not use a ‘search bar widget’ but first go to your browser and then to the website where you want to log in.
IP-address has been changed
Whilst logging in, the IP address awarded to you changed. For security reasons, the system ended the session.
- Do you log in using your mobile telephone? If so, connect to a 3G/4G network.
- Contact your internet provider to set up a static IP address.
- Do you use a VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection? If so, it is sometimes not possible to log in because the IP address is hidden by this connection.
Do you receive the error notification 'No letter with activation code has been requested for your DigiD'. This error notification has various causes. Log in to My DigiD to change your settings.
- The request for your DigiD or the SMS verification has been expired because an incorrect activation code was entered 3 times. For example, you have used an activation code from a previous request.
- The activation period of 21 days has expired.
- You have entered your existing username and password when activating your new DigiD (note: when activating the SMS verification then you must enter your existing username and password).
- Your DigiD or the SMS verification has already been activated.
- Apply again for your DigiD or for the SMS verification again. Do not activate until you have received the letter containing the new activation code. Please check that the date on the letter corresponds with the date of your last application.
- When activating your new DigiD, enter the username and password that you created during the application of your new DigiD (note: this does not apply when activating the SMS verification; then you must enter your existing username and password.
- If you have already activated your DigiD or the SMS verification, you do not have to do anything.
DigiD app is unable to support all mobile browsers, in some cases this can cause the following error: ‘The DigiD app does not open’ – when trying to log in with the DigiD app on your Android device.
This problem mainly occurs when using the preinstalled ‘Internet app’ on a Samsung device. If you are using this app you can do the following:
- Open the Internet app from Samsung.
- Click on the icon with three stripes, in the bottom right corner, to open a menu.
- Click on ‘Settings’.
- Click on ‘Useful features’.
- Activate this setting: ‘Open links in other apps’.
Are you trying to log in on your Android device and you are not using the ‘Internet app’ from Samsung? In this case we advise you to make use of one of the following browsers:
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge
In case the above mentioned instructions do not work we advise you to login with your username and password, and if needed, the SMS verification.